Can you believe it? It’s that time of year again! Time for our end of the year [year, where did you go??] wrap-up. Today we’ll take a look at your 13 [for 2013, duh] favorite recipes of the year. Tomorrow we’ll count down my faves. Before we move on, I just want to say THANK YOU one more time. Thank you for reading, thank you for cooking, thank you for eating, and thank you for giving me a reason to write this silly blog week after week. I hope your 2014 is full of sweet treats and even sweeter memories!
13. Southwest Smothered Pork Chops – A 30 minute dinner that is perfect for feeding 2 people… or a crowd! Who doesn’t love a good juicy pork chop topped with cowboy caviar and lots of cheese.
12. Red Velvet Cupcakes – I’m not sure if the cupcakes themselves or the story behind them was more of a hit. After testing 4 different batches last February, I definitely landed on a winner with this batch!
11. Cowboy Caviar – This is my twist on a Trader Joe’s staple. This spicy corn and black bean salsa became a staple in my fridge this past fall.
10. Cinnamon Roll Bundt Cake – This was a sort of “in a pinch” recipe that turned out to be a big hit. I made it for a retirement brunch last spring and proved to be a great alternative to traditional cinnamon rolls.
9. Mexican Chocolate Bundt Cake – I dressed up Joy The Baker’s classic chocolate bundt cake with some Mexican spices for a dinner party last January. It’s a magical cake that gets better and better day after day. It’s perfect on it’s own, but even better when served with vanilla ice cream!
8. Watermelon Basil Sangria – I’m a huge fan of creative sangria recipes, but this one definitely tops the list for me. White wine, citrus, watermelon juice, and fresh basil. It feels like summer just talking about it!
7. Veggie Lasagna – This veggie lasagna came from my friend Allan in my first and only “spatula pad” post of the year. [I’m planning to bring you guys a whole lot more of those in the new year!]. I made this 2 more times after Allan taught me the recipe, so I promise, it’s a good one!
6. S’mores Pancakes – Ah yes, s’mores. Everything was s’mores this year, but you guys seemed to dig it. These incredibly decadent pancakes are just a “sometimes” kind of breakfast, but when you decide to endulge, it is TOTALLY worth it.
5. Chicken, Fig, and Basil Panini – Chicken, figs, and basil. Such an unsuspecting yet fabulous flavor combination! I purchased a Panini maker this year and just couldn’t stop pressing. Of all my ingredient combos, this one definitely tops the list.
4. Deep Dish Apple Pie For 2 – SO much to love about this one. A deep dish apple pie perfectly portioned for 2 people. Let me rephrase that, this is not just any deep dish apple pie. This is a mini version of The Smitten Kitchen’s ultimate Deepest Dish Apple pie, and it’s just as dreamy as it looks!
3. Whole Wheat Pasta with Shrimp and Bacon – Whenever I get a new cookbook, I like to share one of the recipes with you. This comes from Giada’s Weeknights cookbook. It’s packed with flavor and can be thrown together in a snap, so I see why you guys liked it so much!
2. Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes – This year I was alllll about the creative pancakes recipes. The options seemed endless but this was definitely the prettiest one, not to mention those flavors! Even though I posted this recipe last summer, I can’t wait to make them again soon to help ward off the winter blues!
1. Huevos Rancheros Taquitos – You and me both! These huevos ranchero taquitos were one of my very favorite recipes of the year as well. Same goes for my friends. I served them at my Bike Race Brunch last June and they disappeared from the warming tray in minutes. Hand held huevos rancheros? YES please
Check back tomorrow for a list of MY favorite recipes of the year!