NEW THIS MONTH:
- 26 – Biggest newbie this month is my age. I turned 26 on March 20th and already know this is going to be a great year! I celebrated “birth month” instead of my actual birthday which included a visit from my brother, a visit from my college roommate,a pub crawl, a pizza party, a happy hour, and 24 hours in Atlantic City. Like I said.. its gonna be a good year.
- The Nashville Soundtrack – I’ve been watching the show all season (and loving it!) but just recently downloaded the soundtrack from iTunes Holy Moley. I. Am. Obsessed. Bordering on teenage girl obsessed. I keep wanting to update my facebook status with lyrics from songs, but, well… I’m not a teenage girl.
- Sushi Making – On a random Saturday night a few weeks ago, a couple friends invited me over to make sushi. I’ve ordered it at restaurants more times than I can count, but this was my first time actually making it. I wasn’t too optimistic about out it would turn out, but was pleasantly surprised with the results! We got weirdly creative with some of our rolls, and I’m starting to think we may have missed out calling in life as sushi chefs!
- Staycation – I took a couple of vacation days from work at the beginning of the month when my brother came to visit me in Philly. We spent two days traipsing around the city, checking out some of my favorite sites and eating at some seriously good restaurants. It was just what I needed to break up the mid-winter lull that I encounter every year. There are so many great things to do right here in Philadelphia, that I can’t wait to plan my next staycation.
- Vetri – Speaking of seriously good restaurants, I ate at my first Mark Vetri restaurant this month. He is arguably one of the best pasta chef on the East coast, and the price tag on the tasting menu at his signature restaurant, Vetri, is well over $100. I sure as heck can’t afford that, so I checked out Amis, a more casual Italian Trattoria, at 13th and Pine and was blown away. Amis is without a doubt one of the best restaurants I’ve tried in the city, and nearly a month later I still can’t stop thinking about the oxtail cannelloni.
- Barcade – I’ve been spending more time hanging out in Fishtown over the last few months and my most recent discovery is Barcade just south of the corner of Frankford and Girard. They have an awesome selection of craft beers on tap and an even better selection of old school video games which still only cost a quarter. It’s just a bit of a hit to the pride when you realize you’ve lost all of your Ninja Turtle and Pacman skills.
- Justin Timberlake – Although it feels like just yesterday that I was dancing to Sexy Back in my friends’ dorm room, it’s actually been 7 (yes, SEVEN) years since Justin Timberlake’s last album release. When I first heard Suit And Tie, I was underwhelmed. I’m not sure what was wrong with me, because now I just can’t get enough of it! I haven’t downloaded the rest of the album yet, but I’m pretty sure I won’t hold out much longer.
- Lush Cosmetics – From all of my running outside in the bitter cold and wind this winter, my hands were a dry, cracking mess. No product I tried worked until I was turned onto Lush Cosmetics. They have a store in most major cities, and I’m not sure what’s in the products besides magic, but my hands healed almost immediately after applying their Handy Gurugu. And the girls who work in the store? Friendly as can be, so you really can’t beat it!
NOT SO NEW THIS MONTH:
- Girls – I got all caught up on the second season of Girls just in time for the season 2 finale. Ok, season 2… got a little weird, got a little crazy, maybe a little too much at times, but I still loved it. And sure, the finale was a little clique, but after all the insanity this season things had to tie up nicely. Marnie’s “you really don’t want to date me??” moment and Shoshana’s “YOU HATE EVERYTHING!” outburst. Loved it!! I just NEED all the girls to get back together again! And the best moment of the entire season? “IT’S A WEDNESDAY NIGHT BABY, AND I’M ALIVE!” Let’s be honest. For the next six months, every time I hear I Love It by Icoa Pop, I’m gong to smack my chest and scream that it somebody’s face. This is your fair warning.