Just a few things that were happening outside the kitchen this month…
NEW THIS MONTH:
- New Position At Work – Hands down the biggest thing going on this month. It’s been crazy and hectic and making me want to pull my hair out. But I really, truly mean all of that in a good way. I was ready for change, and I got it, and I’m loving it!
- Fette Sau BBQ – The newest (I think) of the Steven Starr restuarants. This one popping up on Frankford Ave in the up-and-coming Fishtown neighborhood. Starr linked up with Joe Carroll, owner of the famous Brooklyn BBQ Joint the original Fette Sau, and man did they ever get it right. The food is incredible and the atmosphere is so Fishtown. I took my parents when they visited over Presidents’ Day weekend, and I plan to take my brother when he visits next week.
- GooGoo Dolls Pandora Station – Can we pause for a moment and talk about the awesomness that was the soft rock music of the late 90’s and early 2000’s. I could listen to the Goo Goo Dolls Pandora Station all day (some days I do!) and never get sick of it. The soundtrack of my awkward adolecense.
- Step Aerobics – Speaking of the 90’s and early 2000’s, let’s chat about step aerobics. Kickbox (love it), spin (really love it!), and Zumba (ehhh I can leave it…) are all the rage now when it comes to fitness trends and it seems like everyone has forgotten about step class. They started offering it again though on Tuesdays at my gym, and let me tell you… I am sore. Every. Single. Wednesday. Step Aerobics might be an oldie, but it’s a goodie!
- Yards Tasting Room – How have I lived in this city for 4 years and never made a point to visit our local brewery! I took a trip to Yards with my parents and a couple of friends earlier in the month and had a great time. The tour was just ok, but the tasting room rocked! Lots of seasonal beers on top, a variety of samplers, and the prices are dirt cheap! As an added bonus, Yards is a less than 5 minute walk from my friend’s apartment, so we’ll definitely be back!
- Robyn and Beyonce – I can’t get enough of the diva’s this month. Beyonce rocked it at the superbowl and I’ve been wishing I was her ever since. And Robyn… ah Robyn! She was a teen queen back in the 90’s but then fell off the face of the planet for the next decade and a half. But she’s back in full force and I can’t get enough. Every morning starts with my daily dose of Call Your Girlfriend and Dancing On My Own.
- Bachelor Parties – There are few things on television these days that pique my interest the way that The Bachelor does. Call it trashy, call it fixed, call it superficial, call it what you will. I’ll just stick to calling it awesome. What makes it even more fabulous is having a group of my girlfriends over ever week to watch Sean Lowe on his quest for love with Roommate and I. Nothing better than sipping wine and trash talking for two hours ever week. Did you see Ashlee’s exit last week?? What do you think they did in the “fantasy suite”? Who knew Monday nights could be so much fun!?
- Girls – Oh, Girls. The HBO show every 20-something female has been obsessing over for the last year. I don’t have HBO, but I do have access to my friend’s HBOGO account (shhhhhh) and have finally jumped on the bandwagon. Oh. My. Goodness. This show is a hilarious and an uncomfortably accurate depiction of life as a young female out on her own for the first time in the year 2013. I love they way they capture the awkwardness and confusion associated with work, friends, dating, roommates, and family. Granted the ladies on Girls are
a littleway more promiscuous than my group of friends, but the overarching themes… yeah that’s us.
- Fur Coat – The newest addition to my wardrobe. I was a little reluctant to accept the hand-me-down from my grandma, but now that I have it, I’m totally digging it! I wore it to the Supply Corps Ball this month, and am racking my brain for another event where it may be deemed acceptable outerwear. I received a few strange looks the night I wore it, but my friend Lauren sported her grandmother’s coat as well, so I have a feeling that vintage fur is making a come back!
- Donald Miller – My friend Allan introduced me to the author and I cannot get enough of him! I finished reading Through Painted Deserts this month and have already made it half way through Blue Like Jazz. Donald Miller is a Christian author but his style is less theological and more focused on the meaning and practicality of Christianity in our daily lives. His writing is absolutely beautiful as he puts into print many of the things I think and feel about God and the world, but have trouble expressing on my own.
NOT-SO-NEW THIS MONTH:
- My Taylor Swift Obsession – This one is not new. But did you even see how good she looked at the Grammy’s this year!? Thanks for making it cool to be a tall, lanky girl T Swizzle!