Every year my roommate and I throw a Christmas party at our apartment. We love hosting events and inviting friends over throughout the year, but the Christmas party has become “our thing.” It started as a smallish celebration 2 years ago but has gained a bit of a repuation amongst our crew as the party to attend. And well, you know how those things go…
You start by inviting just your closest friends, but then So-And-So asks if she can bring her boyfriend, and Neighbor Boy wants to bring his roommates along… which of course is fine, the more the merrier, right!? But then two days before the party you find yourself at a work event where everyone has had a couple of drinks and the the topic of the Christmas party comes up, so naturally it only makes sense to open the inviation to all of your co-workers because… well… they are so much fun!
Next thing you know it’s the day before the party and you are running down the guest list with your roommate and oh-my-gosh-there-are-52-people-coming! 52 people coming to a Christmas party in our less than 1200 square foot aparatment. What!?!
Holy cow! Some decisions need to be made! Such as…
- We’re going to need more food than last year.
- I think we should purchase a keg.
- What unnecessary-space-taking-up-things can be removed from our living room for the night?
- I’m gonna go with the big bottle of vodka.
- Red wine or white wine? Ummmmm, both.
- Yeah, we’re definitely going to need more food than last year.
So if you find yourself in a party throwing bind this holiday season, I’ve got the perfect recipe for you! This crab dip feeds a ton and can be thrown together in just minutes. Your guests will think you slaved away, but in reality, the mini crock pot does all the work. And let’s all agree on that. When holiday plans (or any plans really) get out of hand, the crock pot becomes your best friend, so just embrace it!!
- 1 lb can of refrigerated crab meat (claw or lump–it’s definitely worth it to spend the extra money here and skip the cheap stuff you find next to the canned tuna)
- 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz can roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 bunch (approx 10) of green onions, chopped (white and light green parts)
- Pita bread for serving
- mini crock pot
Use a wooden spoon to combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer the dip to a mini crock pot about an hour before your party starts. Plug ‘er in and let the dip cook, covered on low heat, stirring occasionally. Serve directly from the crock pot with sliced pita bread. Seriously, that’s all you have to do. And your friends will think you are a genius.
This one came from a random assortment of ingredients I had laying around the house. I find the best recipes often begin that way!
One of my favorite parts of party hosting is the leftovers. Sadly when it comes to this dip… there are no left overs. In the rare chance that there are, then I have 3 words for you: Crab Grilled Cheese. You can thank me again for that one ; )